Ductless Mini Split A/C Learn Center
Learn from the experts in ductless mini split systems
Simple Ways to Effectively Clean Your Ductless Mini Split?
1. Turn the Unit OffSafety is very important, so before you do anything at all, you might want to make sure that your ductless mini split unit is not turned on or not connected to any power supply. If the circuit breaker is used, you can start by switching it off. For good measure, you can also check the power cable and unplug it from the outlet or the main electrical panel to shut the system off entirely.
2. Make the Cleaning Materials AvailableCleaning your ductless unit doesn’t have to cost you much. Your cleaning materials may have to include a combination of items that you readily have at home and items that might you have to buy if they’re not available at your home. The common items that you can certainly get at home are a damp cloth and a dry cloth, leather gloves, shop vacuum, soap, household cleaners, water, and the water hose with sprayer or water spray. The items that you might have to purchase are fin comb, air conditioner coil cleaner, cleaning brush, spray bottle, wash bag, scrubs, condensate drain pump treatment, and a condensate drain cleaner among others. At ComfortUp, we have several great products available to help you with cleaning your mini split, but you can use materials you see fit.
Cleaning the Outdoor Compressor/Condenser Unit
1. Clear the Debris Around the UnitClean the surrounding area of the unit. Remove the dry leaves, twigs, grass, and all objects that you can find anywhere the unit.
2. Wash the Outdoor CabinetWash the outdoor cabinet with the damp cloth. You can use soap and water and rinse afterward. Dry the housing with the dry cloth.
3. Remove the Dirt Collected from the Exterior of the UnitRemove by hand all the debris that is found in the unit. When large objects are removed, use the water hose or water spray to clean the unit so you can remove all the dirt on the exterior surface. You can use soap and water for cleaning.
4. Scrub and Wash the Grille or Fan CageSpray the grille with water and remove as much as possible all the dirt that accumulated in the grille or fan cage. You can use the brush to scrub the whole surface.
5. Clean the Fan Blades.If you can unscrew the grille, remove it. You will find the blades inside. Clean the blades with the damp cloth. You can use soap. Rinse afterward and wipe the blades with a dry cloth.
6. Clean the Interior of the UnitCheck the inside of the unit and remove all the dirt. Use the dry cloth to clean the interior surface. You can use a vacuum to remove the dust and other dirt inside.
7. Clean Condensate PanCheck the condensate pan remove any growth of mold. You can wash it with soap or use a bleach solution. Rinse with clean water afterward.
8. Clear the Drain Hose with DirtCheck the drain hose and remove any objects that might block the free flow of water. Wash it with soap and clean water.
Cleaning the Indoor Air Handler Unit
1. Clean the Exterior Surface of the Air HandlerWipe the air handler unit with the damp cloth and immediately dry it with a dry cloth.
2. Remove and Clean the Air FiltersRemove the air filters from the unit and remove all the dirt. You can wipe them with clean and dry cloth or wash them with soap and clean water. Either way, you should make sure that you consulted the owner’s manual and followed the stated correct way of cleaning the filters. Also, keep in mind the frequency of cleaning the filters so you would know when to clean it again.
3. Clean the Evaporator CoilRemove the unit’s cabinet to have easy access to the evaporator coil. Clean the coils by removing all the dirt and accumulated molds. You can simply wipe it with clean dry cloth or use a coil cleaner for more effective results.
Create or Prepare a Cleaning Checklist
For your guidance and easier cleaning, you can create a simple ductless mini split cleaning checklist that details the important components of the unit that you should not miss to clean. Here’s a sample checklist for your reference:
|OUTDOOR UNIT||INDOOR UNIT|
While you can certainly avail of cleaning services from HVAC professional, it is important to note that cleaning your mini split unit is not a hard task at all. It is a simple chore that you can easily accomplish on your own. Keep in mind that a regularly-cleaned ductless mini split system runs more smoothly, quietly and efficiently. Consider cleaning of your ductless mini split system as an important type of preventative maintenance that will help extend the life of your unit and save you money on costly system repairs or replacement.