Spot Cooler Uses and Benefits
AT THIS TIME, WE NO LONGER SELL SPOT COOLERS. CLICK HERE TO LEARN ABOUT WHY WE HAVE SWITCHED OUR FOCUS TO DUCTLESS MINI SPLITS AND WHY THEY'RE PROBABLY THE PERFECT SOLUTION FOR YOUR NEEDS.
While traditional air conditioners remain the most widely used solutions to cool spaces, these systems—such as centralized AC units and room air conditioners—do not always fit to all applications and hardly meet complex cooling demands. It doesn’t matter whether the environment that requires cooling is a home, office, commercial property, industrial facility, or any other type of environment. Most of the time, typical constraints, like installation issues, budgetary limitations, building regulations, inadequacy of spaces, and even personal preferences and requirements hold back efforts to set up an effective and efficiently running indoor climate control system.
Take for example the prevalent conditions at home where homeowners are hard-pressed to cool a garage or room addition due to the unfeasibility of connecting the existing HVAC system or the impracticality of extending the ductwork. Or in the case of rented properties, just imagine the frustration of many for not being able to install a better cooling system, mainly due to the lack of discretion over the property or strict building regulation. Take note that despite the emergence of sophisticated air conditioning technologies, we always have to contend with cooling challenges. And that’s the reality. The truth is, the issue is not isolated to residential settings. In fact, in places where an effective cooling system is a serious prerequisite, like factories, machine shops, industrial warehouses, and server rooms, thermal comfort and sufficient cooling could spell the difference between operational success and failure; efficient machine functionality and equipment degradation; and personnel productivity and low performance. Taking all these cooling issues into account, it is important to understand that no amount of modern high-performance systems can resolve thermal issues when they are borne out of limitations that go beyond system technology and capabilities. Sometimes, when what you aim for in a system are simplicity of use, functionality, convenience, cost-effectiveness, and complete control over comfort, going the simplest route is the smartest move. And when it comes to air conditioners, spot cooling using spot coolers is the spot-on choice.
What is Spot Cooling?Spot cooling refers to the process of cooling a targeted space through the use of compact, portable, and self-contained air conditioning system. Although any place is good for spot cooling, the areas that most ideal for this type of air conditioning are normally enclosed spaces where thermal comfort must be maintained or where the temperature must remain consistent and balanced. For example, data centers and packing stations will make a good use of spot cooling because it will not only ensure steady temperature that protects machines and all types of mechanical equipment but also keep the comfort level for the people that occupy that particular area.
What is a Spot Cooler?
How Does a Spot Cooler Work?As an air conditioning system, the spot cooler follows the normal air conditioning process, which is basically the removal of heat (through heat transfer or heat exchange) and dehumidification to eliminate humidity. Here’s how a spot cooler works:
- The system absorbs the warm air from inside the room through the help of the refrigerant. In this case, the refrigerant gets pressurized through the help of the compressor and gets evaporated at a very low pressure which allows it to absorb the warm air.
- From a hot gas state, the refrigerant is transformed into a hot liquid.
- The hot refrigerant in liquid state goes to the condenser where the heat gets exhausted and released outside through the vents of the unit.
- The refrigerant, which is now a sub-cooled liquid but still remains very hot, flows to the evaporator. Through the metering device, this flow of the liquid refrigerant decreases.
- The liquid refrigerant vaporizes when it reaches the evaporator coils and turns into cool gas.
- The cool air is distributed indoors through the tubes while the heat is constantly removed through the vent system.
- The cycle repeats until the set temperature is achieved.
What are the Main Accessories of a Spot Cooler?Aside from the main internal components, like condenser, compressor, evaporator, and fan system, a spot cooler usually has the following accessories:
- Cold air pipe bend
- Cold air pipe
- Water tank
- Air filter
- Hot air exhaust pipe
- Hot air exhaust pipe seat
- Air pipe seat covers
- Drain pipe
- Water tank
How to Install, Set Up, or Assemble a Spot Cooler?Unlike traditional systems, spot coolers are very easy to install or set up. To give you an idea, here’s a sample installation of a Koolzone SAC-4500 model that is available at ComfortUp. This particular unit is a 1.3-ton twin duct portable spot cooler with oscillating function and has a cooling capacity of 15,358 Btu. This system includes 2 cold air pipe bends, 2 cold air pipes, 1 heat exhaust pipe seat, 1 hot air exhaust pipe, 1 water tank, 1 air strainer, and 1 pack of screws. Here are the procedures to properly assemble this system:
- Lock the heat exhaust pipes into the unit by using screws (you will need 4 screws).
- Fix and lock the two cold air pipe bends.
- Insert the hot air exhaust pipe.
- Insert the air filter.
- Insert the water tank.
- Connect and fix the 2 cold air pipe latches into the bends.
- Plug the unit’s power cable into an electrical outlet.
- Set your preferred temperature using the built-in switches.
When It Is Best to Use a Spot Cooler?
How Would You Benefit from Using a Spot Cooler?Compared with traditional systems, spot coolers can give you the following benefits:
- Quick cooling. Spot coolers are designed for cooling specific spaces and not really an entire room. Depending on your purpose, this means that it can quickly lower the temperature of a targeted space and you can easily achieve temperature comfort in no time at all.
- Flexibility in terms of application. As a compact and portable system, spot coolers can be easily placed and be used almost anywhere. Even the air pipes can be extended depending on your need or intended purpose.
- Easy installation. Forget about expensive and complex installation. Spot coolers can be set up quickly. In fact, you can place the accessories in just a matter of minutes and voila, it’s ready to be used.
- Cost-saving. With spot coolers, no energy will be wasted because the cooling output will be completely concentrated on the specific space that you want to cool. You will have the freedom to manage your usage of the unit by being able to turn it on or off anytime.
- Environment-friendly. Unlike the traditional air conditionings systems, spot cooler use the ozone-friendly refrigerant called R410A.
- Easy maintenance. The spot coolers do not need complicated maintenance procedures. All you need is to regularly check and clean the filter, remove the gathered condensate water in the water tank, and consistently take care of the system in any way you can. In cleaning the filter, you can simply use water. When you are not using, you can also cover it to protect the system from dusts and other elements.
Experience Spot-on Cooling with Spot Coolers
For direct-area-cooling, spot coolers are no doubt one of your best options. When traditional systems would not work, spot coolers can. For you own unique application, it is only a matter of finding the right model and capacity. Remember, spot coolers are powerful enough as a system to cool your space, compact enough to be used anywhere, flexible enough to suit your specific needs and cooling requirements, and efficient enough to slash your energy bill. If you’re looking for a great selection of highly efficient and high-performance spot coolers, you can visit Comfortup.com.